Saturday, May 26, 2012

Last Bad Chemo - Yahoo!!

Yesterday, I had my last of the six rounds of chemo that gives me the bad side effects - Yahoo and major celebration time!  I was pretty excited to get this done and ring that bell!!!  They said I rang that bell pretty good and there were people in the hallway even giving me a thumbs up!!

There was also another gal there after me finishing up her last treatment and she was going to get to ring the bell when she was done.  I guess my excitement and ringing the bell gave her daughter who was with her a rush of emotion and she just lost it and started crying.  So I went over and gave her a hug and told her how exciting this was and it was a good thing, so she kinda changed to tears of excitement and joy.  Then I congratulated her mom and wished her well. She was still hooked up to the IV's and probably around my age.

Another chemo friend, Vicki the school teacher, was having her last treatment that day and finished shortly after I got there!!  She is another amazing woman I've met on this journey!  She has only missed 4 days of teaching while doing these treatments!!  But shared a story of a day of running back and forth to the teachers restroom facilities!  She's quite the trooper!! Her son and daughter were there to celebrate with her, Friday!! So I snapped a few pics of her bell ringing celebration!



Vicki is doing the same chemo I am, except she goes in a little earlier than I do but I hope we will still be able to catch each other for a few minutes every three weeks while having our Herceptin IVs.

This was also the first time to get the whole effect of using the port I had put in last time.  Much easier that trying to get a good vein in my arm!  I'm definitely glad I had the port put in and should have done it much early!

Mary Nickles was doing a radiation treatment that afternoon, too.  The radiation room is on the first floor right under the chemo treatment room on the second floor.  So she came up for a quick visit with me after her treatment before running off to her kids sports games.  She is such an inspiration to me and just enough ahead of me in treatments that she passes along info on how she's handling the next new treatment and what I'm in for.  It helps to know this cuz there is so much new unknown stuff!!

I just received a wonder flower bouquet from my dear sweet jr. high school friend, Sheila and her husband!  She sends me an inspirational card almost every week!  I can't thank you enough for the weekly spirit lift it brings me!  Love you Lots!!

Thank you all for your love and support - It's really does help me get through the down days!  Which is this next couple of weeks of the last of the bad side effects!!

Signing off to go get the last of my Nulasta (new nasty) shots!
Love you All!
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. I had tears as I was reading this post - I am so glad the yucky treatments are done! I hope the next phase of treatment is better than this last phase! Let me know when your ready for a little trip with the ladies!

    Love Ya
    Penney

    ReplyDelete